Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.
-- Michael Corleone from The Godfather: Part III
As if I dont have enough time in the day, somehow, some way, I've been pulled back into the thrall of Magic The Gathering. If you've never heard of the game, its basically a card game that is a mix of chess, poker, and Dungeons & Dragons. Which explains how I got trapped into this. Again.
Last week, during a user testing session, I found out a couple of the customers we were working with had gone to high-school with my brother and that he had taught them how to play Magic. I found it ironic since I had taught him how to play. There was even a time that we were competing in the national amateur ranks.
Not only I do feel really old now, I found myself actually missing the game. It has always been fun and imaginative. To make matters worse, the guys are talking about how they got back into it last year. Next thing I know, I am being talked into joining them the next day during lunch for a few quick games.
Thats when Magic The Addiction resurfaced. I spent that night going thru the boxes of cards of all the old cards I had, modifying the older game decks a little bit, reviewing what was allowed nowadays, and even realizing I had a few boxes of cards still unopened. Then there was the enjoyment of the new artwork and all the little toys that the cards had become. The possibilities were endless. Again.
Now the one major downside to this game, other than the time factor, is the cost. A booster pack of 15 cards run an average of $4 per pack. During the height of playing days, it wasnt uncommon to buy an entire box of 36 packs. And since the cards are released as sets, it wasnt uncommon to buy a box (or more) per set. Then there were the single cards that cost as much as baseball cards. Oh and of course, there were the tournaments and conventions. Its a seriously expensive habit which is why the game garnered the nickname Paper Crack.
When the weekend rolled around, I knew I was going to go shopping for some of the updated versions of the cards. I swore that I wouldnt do what I had done in the past. I swore that I wouldnt go and buy a box of each set. I swore I would be good and I was.
I only bought mix of the last few sets. Granted, I ended up getting 25 packs, but nevermind that. It was still much less than what I used to get.
So yes, now I can say that I've got your mana load right here.
Nevermind. That joke still sounds lame, even a decade later



0 comments:
Post a Comment