Lady 1: Oh honey child, when my daughter grows up, she's going to a nurse!
Lady 2: What you mean, baby? When your child grows up, she going to be swinging around a pole for money...
-- comments from two southern Black women that were overheard during the breakfast line at the office cafeteria.
Tower View
Tolkien Would Be Proud
At least I would hope he would be.
Return of The King was released this past week and I must say this was worth the wait. This movie finishes the triology and definately fits the epic novel. At 3.5 hours long, the movie didnt feel long, at least not to me.
Granted, I also made sure that I had gone to the bathroom before the movie.. Heh.
Some noteworthy trailers, The Chronicles of Riddick, which is the sequel to Pitch Black, and The Butterfly Effect, which looks pretty good despite starring Ashton Kutcher.
***********
Speaking of Tolkien
I've never met the writer from the blog Anne Central. The only image I've seen of her before was the one she has displayed at the top of her blog.
So when Anne posted the image of herself and her costume, I was pleasantly surprised. Not only by the attractive young lady in the picture, but by the costume she made to commermorate Return of The King.
Anne not only looks just like one of the elves from the movie, but she even made an impressive looking replica of an elvish bow.
Now if she can hit an orc in the eye from over 100 yards, I will really be impressed.
***********
Evil People! Evil People!
During a recent meeting at work, a co-worker noted that Weight Watchers has scored a large profit this year; supposedly near a billion dollars.
I dont know how true this is, but I dont doubt it either.
Between the pizza, potluck lunches, danishes, doughnuts, candy, cakes, cupcakes, and cookies that has been around my office, its no wonder that the weight loss company drool at the prospect of new clients for the upcoming new year.
I'm amazed that everyone in my department hasnt gained nearly 50 pounds.
Granted, Gi has been complaining that she has gained 10 pounds, but I think she is crazy anyway. I've got fountain pens that are heavier than her.
***********
The Cookie Monsters
This article by Wendy McElroy discusses how universities around the country are having cookie sales in order to spoof Affirmative Action (AA) and open discussions about this policy.
For white males, cookies are $1 while for females and blacks, the cost is much less. Its not so much the cookies, but how they are priced that bring up the discussion.
Why does one gender or race get different treatment as opposed to others? Dont we normally call this sort of thing profiling? Why are people in Cincinnati upset about such things?
After all, since universities do this for admissions, then it must all right for police to do the same thing when arresting criminals.
This is the type of silliness that politically correct persons and AA dont wish to be discussed. This becomes prevelant by the number of universities that dont want the cookie demonstrations on their campuses.
And before anyone thinks I'm venting from the hip, keep in mind that that I'm a member of "minority" race as well.
Equality is for everyone, regardless of race and gender.
Otherwise you may be the next one charged the $1 for a cookie...
***********
Out in The Yard
Broadway Joe wants a kiss from Suzy Kolber. I dont blame him; I wouldnt mind kissing Suzy either.
***********
Gamer wins lawsuit over online theft of game equipment. Darn right. If we pay to play, then we expect to keep the things we paid for.
***********
Background Noise
Titanic is on the television. If it wasnt for those damn commercials on ESPN the NFL game would be on.
Granted, I liked this movie when it was first released, mainly because of Kate Winslett, Suzy Amis, and the fact its a James Cameron movie.
The best thing about the movie: Leonardo DiCaprio dies at the end.
***************************************
* We keep driving into the night
* Its a late goodbye
* Such a late good bye
***************************************
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Steward
   
Ken - United States
    I'm a forty-something American male
    Of Asian heritage.
    I may not be the best bloke you meet,
    But I do me best.
    View my complete profile
    I'm a forty-something American male
    Of Asian heritage.
    I may not be the best bloke you meet,
    But I do me best.
    View my complete profile
The Banner
   
Let the past be the past.
    Do not call up that which
    You cannot put down.
    Destroy that which destroyed us,
    So long ago.
    -- Sorin Relicbane
    Do not call up that which
    You cannot put down.
    Destroy that which destroyed us,
    So long ago.
    -- Sorin Relicbane
0 comments:
Post a Comment