Duty is the great business of a sea officer; all private considerations must give way to it, however painful it may be.
-- Lord Horatio Nelson
::: Tower View :::
Surviving The Day
During the war against Napoleon, when Admiral Nelson wanted to know how many people were dead, he would ask, "What's the butcher's bill for today?"
I felt the same way recently.
Recently, my company has gone through some layoffs. Out of the 80 people released from the Information Technology (IT) division, my dept contained 30 of those people. There were 3 out of my own area; one whom reported to me.
It felt strange because I had forgotten that it was going to happen. We had be warned that it was coming, but it been nearly a decade since something like this even occurred.
One by one, people were getting phone calls to walk over to a conference room in the main building so that they would be given the news that they had just lost their job.
A few of us even had the idea of walking over to the building, go to a conference room on a different floor, then call someone we knew. If they were brave enough to answer, we would just ask them to look up our calendar.
Funny? Yes. Mean? Absolutely. Cruel? Perhaps.
What would have been really cruel would be to lose your job, then realize, you cant afford to lose it. That you live from check to check and barely surviving.
I would hate for anyone to lose their job, but would hate even more for them to be put in that situation.
Lord knows that I am already in that predicament.
**********
Shadow of the Day
**********
************************************************
When did I lose my sense of purpose?
Can I regain what's lost inside?
Why do I feel like I deserve this?
Why does my pain look like my pride?
************************************************
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Steward
   
Ken - United States
    I'm a forty-something American male
    Of Asian heritage.
    I may not be the best bloke you meet,
    But I do me best.
    View my complete profile
    I'm a forty-something American male
    Of Asian heritage.
    I may not be the best bloke you meet,
    But I do me best.
    View my complete profile
The Banner
   
Let the past be the past.
    Do not call up that which
    You cannot put down.
    Destroy that which destroyed us,
    So long ago.
    -- Sorin Relicbane
    Do not call up that which
    You cannot put down.
    Destroy that which destroyed us,
    So long ago.
    -- Sorin Relicbane
0 comments:
Post a Comment