Merlin: It's not for you, Uther. Hearth and home, wife and child.
Uther: To kill and be King. Is that all?
Merlin: Perhaps not even that.
-- from Excalibur
Ever since seeing Excalibur, its been one of my favorite movies and an influence on my imagination. The Arthur legend was always in my memory, but the movie pulled it all together. That and the song O Fortuna has lasted generations long before the film was created.
O Fortuna,
velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis;
vita detestabilis nunc obdurat
et tunc curat ludo mentis aciem,
egestatem,
potestatem
dissolvit ut glaciem.
Sors immanis et inanis,
rota tu volubilis,
status malus,
vana salus semper dissolubilis,
obumbrata et velata
michi quoque niteris;
nunc per ludum
dorsum nudum
fero tui sceleris.
Sors salutis
et virtutis michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!
Yes, I do know what the translation is. The Latin seems more fitting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Steward
   
Ken - United States
    I'm a forty-something American male
    Of Asian heritage.
    I may not be the best bloke you meet,
    But I do me best.
    View my complete profile
    I'm a forty-something American male
    Of Asian heritage.
    I may not be the best bloke you meet,
    But I do me best.
    View my complete profile
The Banner
   
Let the past be the past.
    Do not call up that which
    You cannot put down.
    Destroy that which destroyed us,
    So long ago.
    -- Sorin Relicbane
    Do not call up that which
    You cannot put down.
    Destroy that which destroyed us,
    So long ago.
    -- Sorin Relicbane
World Map
Viewing Room
Training Room
The Archives
-
▼
2009
(132)
-
▼
Jan 2009
(15)
- Don't Let Your Mind Tell The Story Here
- Playing With My Huge Correction
- Chest Trap
- Look Through The Stone
- What A Load
- The Chronic What?
- Look In The Mirror
- My Kind of Bond Girls
- Never Be A Better Kind
- Clean Up In Aisle Three
- Being Childish
- Fate Monstrous And Empty
- Do Robots Dream Of Electric Sheep?
- What Rock Stars Do At Home
- The Wisdom Of Nike
-
▼
Jan 2009
(15)
0 comments:
Post a Comment