Castle Shima

Ready my knights for battle. They will ride with their king once more.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Keep Moving On

Home is where you can say anything you please, because nobody pays any attention to you anyway.
-- Joe Moore

Tomorrow is moving day for our department at the office. I understand the need for it. It doesn't change the fact that I absolutely hate it.

Part of the reason for the move is that the department is barely using a fraction of the floor which is meant for three hundred people. But damn, I really loved my cube.

I know that sounds strange, especially for those that havent been in the corporate world. My cube faced a wall so I only had a few neighbors and I was close to the windows. Not only that, but the department's location had us right next to the cafeteria, the soccer field, and right above the gym. The location was perfect.

I'd also been in that cube for ten years. That's longer than I've been in my apartment.

As this week dragged on to the inevitable, everyone around me began grousing about the move as well. It became pretty obvious that most of us felt the same way; that we feel as if we're being evicted. We hate moving across campus to an older, not as nice building, and in a worse location.

Some of the newcomers didnt understand as they packed their belongings in a single box. Most of us had quite a bit more, despite the fact we were trying to purge as much as possible. We were finding things we hadnt touched in years. Old newletters, pictures, keyboards, manuals, and even 3.5 diskettes from companies that don't even exist any more.

Now it feels like I'm leaving a piece of me behind. That's wierd, I know, but after all this time, that little piece of real estate was mine. It was part of my identity. It was my home.

So I'll take my three boxes and be happy about it.

Ok, maybe not happy, but I will be thankful for the memories.

Thnks fr the Mmrs by Fall Out Boy

0 comments: