Castle Shima

Ready my knights for battle. They will ride with their king once more.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Neither Here Nor There

No. You dont ask any questions. You dont get any answers. You dont stray from the path. You dont even think about whats happening to you right now. Got it?
-- Marquis de Carabas from Neverwhere

::: Tower View :::
Neither Here Nor There
As you can probably tell from my latest series of entries, I've been watching the BBC mini-series, Neverwhere, which was originally written by Neil Gaiman, who happens to be one of my favorite authors.

I liked the story so much, I ended up with the graphic novel and paperback.

The story is about a man, Richard, who finds himself in an adventure after helping a wounded girl. As an after effect, most people dont acknowledge his very existance. It takes some effort for anyone to even see Richard despite the fact he may be right in front of them.

I always wondered what it would be like to be here, but not ever be seen. Practically invisible to everyone around you, even the ones who knew you the best.

Richard: You're looking very fine, Jessica.
Jessica: You have the advantage of me.
Richard: You're Jessica Bartram. You're a marketing executive at Stocktons. You're twenty six. Your birthday is April 23rd and in the throes of extreme passion you have a tendency to hum the Monkees song 'I'm a Believer.'
Jessica: Is this some kind of joke?
Richard: Oh, and we've been engaged for the last eighteen months.
Jessica: I rather think I'd know if I'd been engaged to someone for eighteen months, Mister...
Richard: Mayhew. Richard Mayhew. You dumped me and I don't exist anymore.


The world would certainly be a different place.
**********

*******************************************************
* If I should fall to rise no more,
* As many comrades did before,
* Ask the pipes and drums to play
* Over the hills and far away.
*******************************************************

0 comments: