Castle Shima

Ready my knights for battle. They will ride with their king once more.

Sunday, April 04, 2010

Three Days Later

I hate watching Passion of The Christ with my mom at church. She always says "Miho, why don't you want to watch it?" and I tell her "Come on, mom. I've read the book and seen the movie. I know how it ends."
-- Carlos Mencia

On Friday night, a buddy of mine from the office, who is also a Magic The Gathering player, invited me over to his place. Alara and his wife were having a Good Friday sort of party, where they had invited people from their work as well as other family friends. They were both up front about what was going on: good food, good people, and a good movie, which just happened to be Passion of The Christ.

Ben, another fellow company worker and avid Magic player, wasnt sure if his wife would be able to handle the movie considering the content is pretty vivid, especially the bloody parts.

I had never seen it with a church or religious group per se. I saw the film at the theater when it first came out and even then, I noticed that people were having trouble with the whippings, blood, and crucifiction. Watching this as a small group setting would be a new experience.

The young teens who had not seen the film before were horrified. Some of the older folks who had seen it before were still having trouble with the graphic violence, but understood the reason for it, even appreciated it.

Mel Gibson may be a prat, but he does make a good film.

At one point we had to pause the film for bio breaks, food, etc. While the mood was still somber, I tried to lighten things up by cracking my wise arse comments.

Since the movie is spoken in Aramaic and Latin with subtitles, I spurt out "You know, if someone was high and tried to watch this without the subtitles, they would probably go 'Dude, I'm so messed up! I can't understand a word they are saying!'"

Yes, that was pretty bad, but it got a laugh. I even paraphrased a few comments from the man, Sam Kinison. Here is the NSFW version.



Happy Easter to everyone! I hope its a quiet, safe, and enjoyable one.

0 comments: